Project Tie Fighter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Tie Fighter

8/29 Update - Ordered Res mods. Rec'd mobo back from RMA.

10/02 Update - New main components!

12/06 Update - New parts on the way.

Happy New Year! All my shit has arrived.

Hi all, when thinking of a name for my project I was trying to come up with something that when reading would give you a idea of where I'm trying to go with this. The design is going to be very minimalist, with hopefully a very narrow color palette. Think grays, blacks. Size matters as well. It must fit neatly on my desk so I can see it when I'm gaming/working. I drew alot of inspiration from MDPC and though I'm not expecting to reach that level of perfection I'm going to do my best and so long as I'm happy with my efforts and end result I will consider it a success!

Parts list will be updated as plan/work progresses.

Components:
    • Case: CaseLabs Mercury S5 Case.
      Case Color: Gunmetal, S5 top chassis options: Drop-in 120.3 mount, Rear Fan Mount: 120mm Hex-Mesh, S5 Top Cover Options: 36mm Ventilated Top Cover, S5 Left Door Options: Standard Window, S5 Right Door Options: Standard Window, Power and Reset Switch: Standard Power/Reset Switches with Sleeved Cables , I/O Options: USB 3.0, Flex-Bay Options: 120.2 Fan/Radiator Mount, S5 Stealth SSD Mount
    • CPU: i7 5930K * Replaced 4790K
    • Mobo: EVGA X99 Micro * Replaced Asus Maximus 7 Gene
    • Gpu: 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC * Replaced R9 290x
    • Memory: 16GB Kingston Predator DDR4 2800 * Replaced Hyperx DDR3
    • Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
    • PSU: Corsair AX 1200i * Replaced Seasonic X 760
    • Monitor: Acer XB280HK

Cooling:
    • GPU: 2 x EK-FC980 GTX
    • GPU: 2 x EK-FC980 GTX Backplate
    • GPU: EK Terminal Dual Parallel.
    • CPU: EK-Supremacy CSQ Acetal Nickel.
    • Pump/Res Combo: EK-D5 Vario X-Res 140.
    • Pump Cover: EK-D5 Cover Kit (Black) Acetal.
    • Res Mod: EK-Res X3 Multiport Top.
    • Res Mod: EK-Res X3 40mm Inner Tube.
    • Tubing: EK ZMT. * Replaced Primochill.
    • Rad: EK Coolstream PE 360.
    • Rad: EK Coolstream PE 240.
    • Fittings: EK-CSQ Black Nickel.
    • Fans: 5 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 2150rpm, 30dB. + 1 Scythe Slipstream SY1225SL12L. * Replaced original AP-45 exhaust fan.

Misc:
    • MDPC sleeving (Black, Titanium), mounting hardware.
    • Gelid GC-Extreme compound.

Mods:
    • Sleeved Corsair AX 1200i. Cut to length 24 pin, 8 pin, SATA power.
    • Fan power cables cut to length and crimped.
    Last edited by vroom; 02-25-2015, 02:33 PM.
    Tie Fighter
    Caselabs Mercury S5, EVGA X99 Micro, 5930K, EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI, AX 1200i, 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

This looks like a well planned build.
    The PSU may be a bit of a bear to sleeve though. I did 2 Seasonics both had some silly 10 and 18 pin connector to the 24pin connector, was a real tangle. Then all the sata power connector are twisted or cross at the PSU thanks to the terrible pin placement they did. The PCIe cables were ok though.
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
      This looks like a well planned build.
      The PSU may be a bit of a bear to sleeve though. I did 2 Seasonics both had some silly 10 and 18 pin connector to the 24pin connector, was a real tangle. Then all the sata power connector are twisted or cross at the PSU thanks to the terrible pin placement they did. The PCIe cables were ok though.
      Cheers and thanks for reminding me. I forgot about that PITA 24pin. I can't remember if I have it in the HTPC or this one. Could always just get another and flip it.
      Tie Fighter
      Caselabs Mercury S5, EVGA X99 Micro, 5930K, EVGA GTX 980 SC SLI, AX 1200i, 16GB HyperX Predator DDR4, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Comment

Sounds as exiting project! Lets get pictures started!
        Sentinel Build: Build Log,
        Venom Build: Build Log,
        Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
        Orange Build: Final Video
        HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Got some fans while they're available.

Such a nice cooling apparatus. Shame it would have to go. I may sell it though and wait for an 880.

Many of the fittings I'm looking for are currently back ordered.
          Tie Fighter

Comment

great scoop vroom

thats a nice lookin stock gpu

Comment

Motherboard Mods

From what I've read the consensus for painting motherboard parts seems to be Plasti-Dip. Does anyone have experience with using an enamel paint on the heatsinks? How about painting the PCI-E slots? I've come across one thread where the whole mobo was taped off - everything but the PCI slots and then spray bombed.

Also what's the best way to remove the gaudy decals on the ROG and MSI etc... gaming motherboards. Heat gun?
              Tie Fighter

Comment

snef has had a motherboard plasti dipped for over a year now no issues.

Painting heat sinks would definitely reduce the heat sinks performance. Might not be so for waterblocks.

Removing decals , definitely NOT a heat gun
                Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I cringed at just the thought of using a heat gun on a mobo brrrr lol !!

Comment

I really want to get into custom sleeving so I'm slowly buying tools starting with a Hakko fx888D soldering station , still researching the crimping tools, any ideas?

Comment

Daz has the Engineer crimping pliers, easy as hell to use and a very high-quality item. They fit in your hand much better than any of the others and do an amazing job at crimping. Don't bother with any of the 30 dollar ones, they are just a waste of money. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2284.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	76244Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2286.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	76245
                      3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                        I really want to get into custom sleeving so I'm slowly buying tools starting with a Hakko fx888D soldering station , still researching the crimping tools, any ideas?
                        I've tried a many, and MDPC's and Lutr0's crimpers work better than any others that I've used.

Comment

Thanks I will check them out .

Comment

I settle on Japanese Engineer Inc tools recently. Very happy with them.
                            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                            Venom Build: Build Log,
                            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                            Orange Build: Final Video
                            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              I cringed at just the thought of using a heat gun on a mobo brrrr lol !!
                              I guess I should have clarified use of the heat gun on the heatsink itself after removing it from the mobo. I'm tired of all these fancy graphics, dragons, and what not on high end motherboards. I wish they'd just make a high end all black mATX board. I know the ATX Black Editions exist so it's all on the right track anyway.
                              Tie Fighter

Comment

Working...
                              X