X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always spread yup.
    Just not my butt checks LOL
    Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
    OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
    Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Hooded View Post
      I always spread yup.
      Just not my butt checks LOL
      Hahaha. You're killing me, thanks for the laughs Hooded and for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by deehoC View Post
        Speaking of Gelid I know they include a little spatula spreader thing with their paste, but I've never actually used it. Has anyone here bothered spreading Gelid Extreme..? I know I always just use a little blob and wind up with good results, but I am kind of curious to see if it would make a noticeable difference.
        It only makes sense to spread the TIM evenly across the HS. Yes, there are numerous videos out there using the 'pea' method, but that equates to shear laziness IMHO. Optimal performance will be achieved by evenly spreading the TIM across the die's contact surface.
        The TIM's sole purpose is to fill the voids between the two mating surfaces, to ensure contact. If both surfaces were perfectly flat, best results would be achieved with no TIM.

Comment

I use the 'pea' or 'line' method because I find when force is applied to the cpu block(air or water) it spreads it out evenly across the whole die. I usually try once then remove the heatsink to see the spread, and then clean everything off and do it again the same way. I don't like to spread it out or re-use the TIM after pulling apart is because you will get valleys and peaks in your spread and it will probably trap air(IMO) and air pockets are bad for heat transfer. Just my 2c, but thats how I apply TIM, I used to spread it out but I just didn't see any difference in temps either way.

Originally posted by xmanrigger View Post
          It only makes sense to spread the TIM evenly across the HS. Yes, there are numerous videos out there using the 'pea' method, but that equates to shear laziness IMHO. Optimal performance will be achieved by evenly spreading the TIM across the die's contact surface.
          The TIM's sole purpose is to fill the voids between the two mating surfaces, to ensure contact. If both surfaces were perfectly flat, best results would be achieved with no TIM.
          I agree, but I don't think it's humanly possible to spread the TIM completely evenly to make sure there are no air pockets trapped. I think if it spreads from the center under pressure it should push any air out for optimal contact, so for me it isn't laziness.
          My Imgur

Comment

I just did spread extreme with AMEX card. Works great.
            Last edited by DazMode; 01-08-2016, 11:34 PM.
            Sentinel Build: Build Log,
            Venom Build: Build Log,
            Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
            Orange Build: Final Video
            HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Originally posted by DazMode View Post
              I just did spread extreme with AMEX card. Works great.
              its how I was taught too.
              HAF932 Mods
              C70 Mods

Comment

What would everyone recommend for my 5930k and dual 980ti's?

Comment

Originally posted by Overkill View Post
                  What would everyone recommend for my 5930k and dual 980ti's?
                  Just whatever paste comes with your blocks is fine, you won't notice a difference really. Gelid extreme is technically the best regular paste but I don't notice a difference in temps using either what came with my waterblocks, or some arctic silver mx4 I keep around in case I need extra. Just don't use a liquid metal.
                  My Imgur

Comment

I mentioned them a while ago in the product wish list. If you stocked them at a minimum I'd order a tube of it. I ended up getting a tube of noctua paste since it was something available on my way home, no one seemed to carry the grizzly stuff. Of course I found it on amazon a while after.
                    Corsair 800D
                    2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
                    Software Developer

Comment

All EK blocks come with Gelid Extreme thermal paste.
                      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
                      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
                      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Working...
                      X