Max-Overdrive 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ohh nooo, thats horrible.
    Ive had my fair share of fun over the years with Plexi issues.
    Its fantastic to work with, until something cracks and then you want to melt it all into a pile of goo.

Thats a pretty big crack. Do you think it cracked while you were machining it or during assembly?

Comment

That is cool, thank you very much for the tip. I know very little when it comes to gluing or "welding" acrylic together, do you by chance know the name of the stuff you used Grinder ? and possibly where to get it? I did see some crazy glue looking stuff at Canadian Tire that comes with a little UV light. So apparently you glue your items together which apparently need to be fairly transparent for the UV light to cure the glue. Anyway if you or someone else knew of what glue I could use on it to stop the crack and seal it up I would be very grateful and owe you a beer or coffee if you don't drink alcohol lol I so love this DazMode Family

Cheers,
      -dave

P.S. Was just thinking now too that I could maybe silicone or glue the entire back of the distro-plate to another sheet of acrylic and that would surely (I know your name isn't Surely ) fix it from leaking. I also had thought of flame polishing it but was too nervous in case I ruined it but I think now might be a good time to experiment with it lol. I have successfully flame polished small things like EK pump top that came with the logo separate and I decided not to put the logo on as I found it distracting. But where its supposed to go was not polished at all and was the typical frosted look you get from CNC'ing acrylic. So I grabbed a small torch I had and very slowly heated up the spot. I didn't get it 100% cleared off but enough that it wasn't noticeable.

Thinking about that now I might just go old school on it and wet sand the whole top of the pump top and polish it. Anyway sorry my ADHD is in full swing and tend to squirrel a lot lol.

Thanks again for the info Grinder . Maybe if you still have the container if you could take a photo of it for me and let me know where you got it. Ill DM you my email to make it a little easier.

Cheers,
      -dave

Comment

Originally posted by SystemTech View Post
        Ohh nooo, thats horrible.
        Ive had my fair share of fun over the years with Plexi issues.
        Its fantastic to work with, until something cracks and then you want to melt it all into a pile of goo.

Thats a pretty big crack. Do you think it cracked while you were machining it or during assembly?
        I hear ya buddy about wanting to throw it in the middle of the fire pit and light it up lol.

I didn't machine it. It is a Barrow waterway plate that I bought some time ago when they first hit the market. I thought about trying to warranty it but after the chaos with dealing with AMD over my dead Threadripper 2990WX, I think its pretty much useless idea. modding it may be a much better plan.

I also thought of using my Dremel MotoSaw and Dremel Router table and cut out all of the water channels and where the reservoir is and sandwich that between two acrylic plates or maybe an 1/8" or 1/4" thick aluminum plate on the backside. Then I could paint the entire backplate Black and then mask off where all the water channels go and paint that white or silver to highlight the fluid. Annnnnnnnd there goes my ADHD again haha, spinning off one idea on top of the next

Anyway thank you both Grinder and SystemTech for chiming in with tips and support. This old man greatly appreciates it

-dave

Comment

I really have no experience working with acrylic, but I was able to repair my block in that one instance. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in and give you some tips. The product is very watery in consistency, applied with a needle tip into the crack. It isn't a glue, but rather a solvent. It dissolves the acrylic and then it sets up again.

I bought it from https://www.piedmontplastics.com
          They are more for commercial customers, but tolerate hobbyists like us when we wander in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1542.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	88836

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1541.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	88837

Comment

Sweet! Thanks for the info. Ill try to contact them to see if I can get some of that, or Ill check Amazon lol.

Thanks again Grinder

Comment

You are most welcome. Note that they do have a Calgary location.

And again, I emphasize that this is a solvent. Not a good thing appearance wise to spill on your acrylic! When I repaired mine, I was lucky enough that it penetrated to where the leak was. The repair was still visible, but if yours is in an area where it's hidden it may do the trick for you. Sounds like you have nothing to lose (I don't remember what I paid but don't recall it being expensive).

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
                You are most welcome. Note that they do have a Calgary location.

And again, I emphasize that this is a solvent. Not a good thing appearance wise to spill on your acrylic! When I repaired mine, I was lucky enough that it penetrated to where the leak was. The repair was still visible, but if yours is in an area where it's hidden it may do the trick for you. Sounds like you have nothing to lose (I don't remember what I paid but don't recall it being expensive).

Good luck!
                Thanks man, I just got a call from the Calgary office and they said that they don't carry the adhesive/solvent there but hes going to email a quote over shortly and Ill message back with the photos in case my initial description was not very clear lol.
                I am getting a quote on some different thicknesses of 24x48 sheets to see if I can afford one to maybe use to repair the distro plate with my idea of cutting out all the water channels and such, then sandwich it between the original top and a new backplate that may hopefully cover the full width of the case to incorporate the main board mounting as well.

OK Im getting excited again about building this rig Thanks Grinder your help meant a lot and if you are in Calgary or here for a visit, shoot me a message and Ill buy you a drink lol.

Comment

No Im debating if its worth trying to get a whole new distro plate or mod the crap out of this one since its done or try to fix it... Ill whip up a quick 3d model of what Im looking at for the mod, which may help me decide which way to go. Also not having a CNC and the thought of doing all this by hand is a little unnerving lol.

Comment

Originally posted by dknourek View Post
                    No Im debating if its worth trying to get a whole new distro plate or mod the crap out of this one since its done or try to fix it... Ill whip up a quick 3d model of what Im looking at for the mod, which may help me decide which way to go. Also not having a CNC and the thought of doing all this by hand is a little unnerving lol.
                    It may be just a temporary fix but here's an idea....

If you have a vacuum nozzle capable of covering the whole crack and sealing against the surface... take some acrylic glue that is liquidy like dichloromethane, and put it onto the crack and attempt to suck the liquid into the crack and seal it. May have you a working distro plate...

Just an idea!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post

It may be just a temporary fix but here's an idea....

If you have a vacuum nozzle capable of covering the whole crack and sealing against the surface... take some acrylic glue that is liquidy like dichloromethane, and put it onto the crack and attempt to suck the liquid into the crack and seal it. May have you a working distro plate...

Just an idea!!
                      That is a great idea. I just cant find the glue anywhere locally there is one plastics place in the north of the city but they have a Minimum $100 for buying stuff

Comment

OMG OMG OMG!!! just heard back from AMD on my dead 2990WX, it passed their inspection and has been approved for replacement! YAY!!

Comment

That is a great idea. I just cant find the glue anywhere locally there is one plastics place in the north of the city but they have a Minimum $100 for buying stuff
                          Ouch, could check out a couple other local places that should have no limits on purchasing.

INDUSTRIAL Plastics (where I used to get all my fiberglass resin supplies)

Or the place I get my materials from now for projects

Plastic Works (although they are a workshop more than a supplier, they may have some of what you need)

Industrial has a couple locations I believe. Plastic works is SE

Comment

Originally posted by Kaidis86 View Post

Ouch, could check out a couple other local places that should have no limits on purchasing.

INDUSTRIAL Plastics (where I used to get all my fiberglass resin supplies)

Or the place I get my materials from now for projects

Plastic Works (although they are a workshop more than a supplier, they may have some of what you need)

Industrial has a couple locations I believe. Plastic works is SE
                            cool beans! Thanks for the info, Ill check them out.

Comment

OMG OMG OMG!!! just heard back from AMD on my dead 2990WX, it passed their inspection and has been approved for replacement! YAY!!
                              Woohoo, thats fantastic news. Great to hear
                              Now just to get the distro plate sorted and your good to go.

Comment

TYVM Kaidis86 for the tip on Industrial Plastics! I popped in there Saturday and was loosing my mind on all the different things I could use to mod with lol. Including the glue/cement I was looking for. They didn't have the actually applicators but I have syringes that might work. My wife was teasing me quite a bit about turning 49 on Saturday, then asked what I wanted to do part of the day, so I spent a little over an hour there lol. I do love the selection of off cuts and especially the bargain bin by the door where I scored a couple 9mm thick chunks for I think it was $2.99 per pound and its cast acrylic too. Anyway I picked up a few things but wanted to say Thank you very much for the info, I never would have likely found them had it not been for you, and being I live it the deep south they are much closer that the other guys I found up by the airport lol.

Hopefully in the next day or two I'll be able to try the vacuum idea on the waterway plate with the new glue.

Comment

Working...
                                X