XPS 700 Aluminum Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XPS 700 Aluminum Case

Hey All...Got me a Dell XPS 700 case which is being used as a doorstop. I was wonderin' if we could turn this into a Daz community watercooled build. As in we all put our input into how the mod should be done as it is a BTX case it would be simpler if we stayed with that config, like a reverse setup, but that's just me thinkin' (hate it when I do that). I will pick up the cost and do the labour but keeping the cost down would of course be ideal but not crucial. We could advertise the build on Daz's site, assuming he's willing as a Community build where we all had a hand in the mod. Just an idea but I know we have a lot of talented people here and it could turn into somethin' pretty cool.
    CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
    XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Interesting project GEARjmr

Casemodcontest.com can contribute raystorm waterblock and some fans

Comment

TY for the interest FF. Of course any contributions would be most welcome and given uber mention in the build log, as would the fact that it would be a Dazmode Community build. Everyone gets credit for any contribution, be it material or engineering skills, the latter which will really create the mod.
      CL SM8|Asus Sabertooth Z87|i7 4770K|16GB Corsair Veng|Kingston HyperX|Seagate Barra|Corsair AX850|EVGA GTX670 SLI
      XSPC Blocks, Bits Dual Pump Top and Tube Res|Dual D5|RX480 with Logisy and Deep Cool in P/P|Bits and TFC Fittings and XSPC Tube|Distilled with DazM Protector

Comment

I got a RAM block, and a DDC + top.
        HAF932 Mods
        C70 Mods

Comment

I love the idea but the case choice sucks imho. Sorry about that, just can't see those centered indents running the depth of the cases working out well.
          Last edited by Hooded; 04-04-2013, 10:21 PM.
          Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
          OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
          Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

I love the idea! I have a totally clean Swiftech Micro Reservoir Rev2 with all parts and some Cooler Master Sickle Flow fans ready to donate!
            Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

I will be happy to contribute my input, although I agree with Hoody that this will be uphill battle to fix. On other hand this like a puzzle to solve!

I also can digg in my parts as thing start progressing.
              Sentinel Build: Build Log,
              Venom Build: Build Log,
              Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
              Orange Build: Final Video
              HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

If the idea is sound and you guys think we can do this I could price out a coupla pieces of aluminum to replace the sides of the box. If any of you would like pics or dimensions no prob. I'd like to wait and see how the inside looks with everything removed. I've seen a mod where the guy used a Lian Li motherboard tray and it seemed to work out good. Alas, I had an operation on my left index finger yesterday to get rid of whats known as a "trigger finger". Watched as the surgeon sliced my palm open at the hand knuckle and continue to open the "sheath" that holds the tendon to the bone to widen the opening. Supposed to leave the dressing on for a week but not likely that will happen, its already getting a little gamey from my hand sweat...lol.

Comment

The big problem with old cases it is no way to put radiators, unless you do some serious cutting. Check on this first before investing your time in side panels.
                  Sentinel Build: Build Log,
                  Venom Build: Build Log,
                  Silent Sniper Build: Final Video,
                  Orange Build: Final Video
                  HTPC Build: Final Video

Comment

Replacing the side panels would only be part of the modding required to remove those nasty indents. The front bezel and rear panel are also indented and that look's like a real bugger to fix that. Now your damn near going into a Scratch Build for a case.

Comment

I have an old mid-tower case lying around collecting dust. I would donate it if needed. I'd also be wining some points with the wife for "cleaning up" the basement!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2086.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	75134

Name:	DSCN2087.JPG
Size:	213.1 KB
ID:	75135

Name:	DSCN2088.JPG
Size:	213.8 KB
ID:	75136

Name:	DSCN2089.JPG
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	75137

Name:	DSCN2090.JPG
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	75138
                      Mario

RIG 1: MSI P55-GD65 mobo | CORE i7 870 | 16GB RAM | OCZ 240GB SSD | WD 1TB HD | CORSAIR H70 | 2x EVGA GTX 560Ti 448 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | XSPC DUAL BAYRES WITH D5 VARIO PUMP | XFX PRO1050 BLACK EDITION PSU | HAF 932

RIG 2: EVGA P55 V mobo | CORE i5 760 | 8GB RAM | WD 500GB HD | CORSAIR H60 | 2x EVGA GTX 460 FTW SLI | EK FULL GPU WATER BLOCKS | DDC PUMP WITH XSPC ACRYLIC RES TOP | CORSAIR HX 850 PSU | HAF 912

Comment

Agreed that this case would be problematic on making cutouts for rads...so, it looks like I'm going to buy a Caselabs SM8 case and have already consulted with a few of the members on which they would purchase. I want to stay with a "Tower" case as that is what I have room for in my closet computer room...lol. As you all well know I'm still pretty much a noob at "modding" so I would prefer to build as opposed to modding. Thanks so much for the interest in this idea and special thanks to bungz, scaccima and snef for the help in choosing the last case I should ever have to buy!!

Comment

Wow that's awesome.
                          Great choice.

Comment

Good choice
                            Caselabs doesnt need modding for a great watercooled rig
                            and the quality is second to none

what colour are you going to get?

Comment

Very nice choice !
                              3770K IHS removed-Max V gene-2x4gig ram Gskills 2400 Trident X-2x400watt Qmax TEC`s with dew point controller-420 Monsta rad for TEC hotside-360 TFC Xchanger for dual 670`s-RP452 res with 2xD5 vario pumps- HF Supreme with modified plate-DD Cp Pro pump for cold side of TEC and cpu block-Dual CM haf 922`s and a Seasonic X-1250 Psu

Comment

Working...
                              X