No announcement yet.

800d + hx-1080

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So some fiddling with the slots for the second 6990 and benchmarking etc to make sure everything was right before I pull it's heatsink off and hook it up to liquid I got it running right with both cards. I did run into a unique issue however that I had not thought about previously. I have been buying 1200W PSU's for a while now, I know I'm not typically using them to their full capacity but under light loads a lot of them are or almost are completely silent, the AX1200 is surprising quiet even with the load I'm putting it under.

However the UPS sure is making a huge amount of noise.

With absolutely everything on stock settings (no overclock) with exception to having both cards in the boosted BIOS mode the UPS (1500VA largest I could get locally without special order) starts to complain that I'm drawing over it's output capabilities, setting of it's alarm.

Only items plugged into battery side of the UPS
    -1 of the 3 monitors so I can still shut it down in case of power outage
    -Tower itself
    -external hard drive that isn't even on.

Might have to run a 20A line to my desk and find a 2000VA UPS sigh.
    Corsair 800D
    2xD5S > FX-8370 > CH4-EX > 6990 > 6990 > 2x1080 rads > return
    Software Developer

Comment

Or you could drop down to 1000watt PSU?
      Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
      OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
      Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

PSU's only draw what they need, stepping down to 1000W PSU won't change the fact that the components are drawing over 900W under heavy loads.

For now I'll just put the cards back to the base BIOS I just never expected to encounter this issue.
        Corsair 800D
        Software Developer

Comment

Now after two solid days of tweaking and drilling etc finally get to relax as the computer runs through a leak test.

It looks far more polished than any of my builds, making me wish I could take the quality of pictures father fuzzy keeps posting.

I weighed the computer as well and it now weighs a total of 83lbs with a total of just over 1L of fluid in total.

Will post my pictures later when I get a chance.

EDIT: managed to completely get rid of the pucker in the side panel too. Strait as an arrow again
          Last edited by Izerous; 01-07-2013, 05:13 AM.
          Corsair 800D
          Software Developer

Comment

She's a heavy girl

Looking forward to seeing the pics

Comment

83 lbs thats a heavey weight machine for sure.
              Can't wait to see the pics.
              Blue Dragon CM690 II an i7 - 960 x58 build
              OverKill HTPC - Red Team Build an AMD FX6100 with dual HD 5870's in crossfire.
              Canadian Amateur Modding Competition

Comment

Heavy girl indeed! Make sure you're on top Izerous!

Comment

Well; considering the 800D weighs approx. 40 lbs. (empty), having it weigh just over 83 lbs. full of components and water cooling gear doesn't seem that odd to me...I broke my back many times picking up the 700D when it was completely full.
                  AsRock Extreme6 Z97, Intel i5 4690K 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3, EVGA GTX 1070, ASUS Strix Raid Pro soundcard, Corsair HX850i, 256 GB Crucial MX100 SSD, 500 GB Crucial MX100 (Gaming) SSD, custom water-cooled Corsair Air 540, MSI AG32C LED monitor, Insignia 32 " LED TV, Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

Comment

To start, instead of using the extra long stand offs I used the EK radiator brackets and took advantage of the fact that the radiator has fan mounting points on both sides. Using 4 of these 1 in each corner, it sucked the side panels in

Then I removed the 3.25in mounting section in the bottom to make room for the EK dual top and removed the RP452X2 bay drive res. Also installed rubber washers under the pump mounting bracket for double vibration isolation. Used bay adapters to move the corsair unit and the 2 SSD's from the bottom to the top bays.

Then made an attempt to take some better pictures but I really don't have the photography skills to pull that great of work.

I scavenged screws from the bottom fans for mounting on the other side until I get a chance to order more of the special rad screws, thus you may note 8 of them are missing form the bottom 3 fans. That scratch in the corner of the panel makes me sad.

I still need to do something about making the fan array look nicer, but that will be simple bolt on type work, won't even have to move it from my desk. And maybe wire up a custom 9 to 1 fan harness
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Izerous; 01-08-2013, 03:57 AM.
                    Corsair 800D
                    Software Developer

Comment

Those are custom panels from ColdZero right? You're using a standard ATX board as well I believe. Can you tell me how much space there is between the back wall of the 5.25" enclosure, and the edge of the MB?

I've been thinking of ordering some, but have a vertical mount tube res in the space. Not sure if it would fit. Any info is appreciated!

Comment

Correct all the extra panels are cold zero panels, all regular stock just with etching on one panel.

the measurements between the board and the panel are... about 3.5in if i measure that correctly but there is obviously less room between the cards and the panel. However the easiest thing to do to determine if you have room is to look at where the panel cuts off part of the grommets. That is the best way to gauge the positioning so you can take internal measurements of your setup and be absolutely sure if your components will fit with the panel or not.

EDIT: Also still need to look into potentially toning down some of the red on the rings, and putting some selective darker sleving on the cables.
                        Last edited by Izerous; 01-08-2013, 05:09 AM.
                        Corsair 800D
                        Software Developer

Comment

Really nice Job Izerous

thats alot of cooling power......luv it

those panels sure give the 800D a cleaner look

sweet rig you have there,enjoyed your pics

Comment

fixed the scratch for ya
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	206.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	74874
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Izerous View Post
                              Correct all the extra panels are cold zero panels, all regular stock just with etching on one panel.

the measurements between the board and the panel are... about 3.5in if i measure that correctly but there is obviously less room between the cards and the panel. However the easiest thing to do to determine if you have room is to look at where the panel cuts off part of the grommets. That is the best way to gauge the positioning so you can take internal measurements of your setup and be absolutely sure if your components will fit with the panel or not.

EDIT: Also still need to look into potentially toning down some of the red on the rings, and putting some selective darker sleving on the cables.
                              Is the mid panel also custom or stock?

Comment

The following + some obvious red trim rings I think is pretty much what I ordered from them in total, or at least close to it.
                                http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=1074
                                http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=1086 (note with with the taller panel since I won't be mounting a top side rad again)
                                http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=1132
                                http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=1170
                                http://www.coldzero.eu/product.php?id_product=827 (purposely didn't include pictures of this one as they came out really orange not red)

Edit: After ripping out the bottom 3.5 bays, the PSU plate from cold zero does prevent the mid panel area from sagging as it really was the only support it had.
                                Last edited by Izerous; 01-08-2013, 06:26 AM.
                                Corsair 800D
                                Software Developer

Comment

Working...
                                X